I got this list of questions to ask as you are reading and studying your Bible, and thought it was a helpful list to pass along. If we took the time to carefully ask these questions, meditate on the text, and consider the implications, it would go a long way toward growing in our knowledge of, and love for, Jesus Christ.
Let me know how it works for you!
1. Who is the author of the passage?
2. Who were the recipients?
3. What is the historical background of the passage?
4. What is the outline/structure of the passage?
5. Are any words repeated? Any significance to the repetition?
6. Are there any unusual words in the passage that call for more exploration?
7. How does the passage fit into the surrounding paragraph? Chapter? Book?
8. Why did the author place the passage here and not somewhere else?
9. In one sentence, what is the main point of the passage?
10. How would the original audience have been affected by the passage?
11. How does this passage connect to the overall storyline of the Bible?
12. How does this passage reveal Jesus as savior?
13. How does God want this passage to function in my life?
14. What kind of response does this passage call for?