Music has a two-fold purpose in the worship of God. Music provides a means to praise and petition God, and it serves to encourage and teach other believers. The talent of singers and musicians is very helpful for uplifting, comforting, and inspiring God’s people. At Christ Community Church, we are thankful God has blessed us with talented musicians and singers who are dedicated to lead the musical portion of our worship services.
God created us to take joy in music. God is blessed and glorified when we sing His praises. Whether it be hymns, psalms, or spiritual songs, music is beneficial for God’s people. The following principles from the truth of Scripture guide our Music Ministry.
- Music is a means of expressing worship and thankfulness for God and His works.
- Music serves to encourage one another.
- Feasts and special days include music and song as part of the liturgy.
- Believers wrote songs to commemorate or to call upon God’s work in their lives (e.g., Moses, David, and Mary).
- Songs are a means of teaching and are useful for helping us remember truth.
- As with all ministry efforts, “all things must be done properly and in an orderly manner.” (1 Corinthians 14:40).
- We sing hymns and contemporary music so as to be willing to “become all things to all men, so that we may by all means save some” (1 Corinthians 19:22). We also are careful in our selection of certain styles of music since some may find the music style offensive and we need to “take care that this liberty of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak” (1 Corinthians 8:9).