The Truth and The Worship of the Son
Title: The Truth and The Worship of the Son
Text: Hebrews 1:1-13
Main Idea: Strive to rest in the truth of the Son and worship the Son as the Father worships the Son.
Memory Verse: Matthew 3:17, “and behold, a voice out of the heavens said, "This is My Beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased."
Scripture Reading: Matthew 3:13-17
Intro: The people may have been entertaining false teaching about angels.
“The Jews held angels in very high regard as the highest beings next to God. The sect of Judaism which had established a community at Qumran taught that the archangel Michael’s authority rivaled or surpassed that of the Messiah. The writer of Hebrews clearly disclaims any such concept. The Son of God is superior to the angels.” - MacArthur Study Bible
Head knowledge and heart knowledge
- Both are related, and you can’t have one without the other
- This chapter helps us understand how the two relate
The author establishes two points to help his readers understand the superiority of the Son over angels
- God makes the Son superior over angels
- God worships the Son over angels
Hebrews 1:1–4 (NASB95)
God makes the Son superior over angels – Head knowledge
1 God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, 2in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world. 3And He is the radiance of His glory and the exact representation of His nature and upholds all things by the word of His power. When He had made purification of sins, He sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, 4having become as much better than the angels, as He has inherited a more excellent name than they.
How does God make the Son superior over angels?
- This is a trinitarian relationship
These 7 actions define how God makes the Son superior over angels
- God has spoken in His Son – V.2
- The Son is the voice of God
- The Son is the Word of God
- God appointed the Son Heir – V.2
- How did God leave an inheritance if He can’t die?
- Unconditionally self-giving
- God made the world through the Son – V.2
- “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth” Genesis 1:1
- The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and exact representation of God’s nature – V.3
- Is – state of being
- NKJV uses the word “being”
- States a present tense situation
- The Son upholds all things by God’s word – V.3
- Move, progress, carry, sustain, bring, drive along, guide, lead into, bring about, put, experience, sustain, demonstrate reality of, accept, endure
- The Son made purification of sins
- The Son is who lived as a man, died our death, was raised from the grave, and now lives to intercede for us in heaven
- The Son sat down in the place of honor
- Inherited the name Lord
No angel has ever been given called Lord
We can also look at these verses as the Father self-sacrificing Himself unconditionally for His Son
God worships the Son over angels- Heart knowledge
Parents can understand this story
- We love them instantly unconditionally
- A new set of worries are established
- We love to show off our babies as they grow
- We are proud of their accomplishments
The author creatively uses Old Testament Scripture to establish of the heart of the Father for His Son
- Angels are not worshiped by the Father
What does worshiping the Son look like? Let the Father show us.
Have you ever looked at these verses with the eyes of a proud Papa?
- You are my Son, Today I have begotten you – 1:5 (psalm 2:7)
- I will be a Father to Him and He shall be a Son to Me – (psalms 2:7)
- And let all of the angels of God worship Him – 1:6 (psalm 97:7)
- Who makes His angels winds, and His ministers a flame of fire - 1:7 (psalm 104:4)
- Your throne, oh God, is forever and ever, and the righteous scepter is the scepter of His kingdom - 1:8 (psalm 45:6)
- You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; therefore God, Your God, has anointed you with the oil of gladness above your companions – 1:9 (psalm 45:27)
- You Lord, in the beginning laid the foundation of the earth, and the heavens are the works of Your hands – 1:10 (psalm 102:25)
- They will perish but You remain, and they will become old like a garment – 1:11 (psalm 102:26)
- And like a mantel you will roll them up; like a garment they will also be changed. But you are the same, and your years will not come to an end – 1:12 (psalm 102:26,27)
- Sit at my right hand until I make your enemies a footstool for your feet – 1:13 (Psalm 110:1)
How can we relate today?
What do we do?
- With the help of God’s Spirit, put your trust in these 7 facts about the Son.
- The Word of God
- The Heir of all things
- The Creator of all things
- The Core of the Son is self-giving unconditional compassion
- The Sustainer of all things
- The Purifier of our sins
- The Lord overall
- With the help of God’s Spirit, ask God to help you worship the Son as the Father worships the Son 5-13
- Be excited, rest, and be proud of all that the Son is doing
- Be excited, rest, and be proud of how the Son is making all things happen in your life with unconditional Love
- Be excited, rest, and be proud that the Son will never change and He is making all things new including yourself
- Be excited, rest, and be proud that the Son is currently running the universe and one day all evil will be abolished
Strive to find rest in the truth of who Jesus is
Strive to worship the Son as the Father worships the Son