Main Idea: James urges you to be a faithful doer of the Word by giving you three tests to see whether your religion is worthless or pure.
Test #1: If you do not BRIDLE your tongue, you are self-deceived and your religion is worthless. (2b)
5 Manifestations of an Unbridled Tongue
1) Quarelling (verbal conflict)(James 4:1)
2) Speaking Evil (speaking against someone else, slander, etc. (James 4:11)
3) Complaining (groaning & sighing at the faults of others (James 4:11)
Test #2 If you show practical love to the HELPLESS, your religion is pure and undefiled (v27)
- (we ought to care for orphans. They are in distress, they have no parents)
- They don't have a companion to help care for themselves anymore.
Test #3: If you avoid the corrupting influences of the world, you religion is pure and undefiled (v27)
- Worldliness in media:
- Worldliness in money:
- Worldliness in clothing:
DO the WORD because Jesus is Lord!